Monday, July 11, 2011

Vantage Point

I've always enjoyed flying, viewing the earth from up above, seeing the things which seem big on the ground look small from the air.  It's what happens when we change our position and look at the world from a different vantage.  Likewise, I've learned there's a need to shift my position from where I view life.
The thing is . . . my perspective is often limited by the circumstances of the moment . . . but when I focus on the reality of the greatness of God, then,  I see the smallness of my circumstances.  
And, when I look at God first, I'm able to see nothing and no one will ever supersede His purpose.

Consider. 
I know that you can do all things;  no purpose of yours can be thwarted (Job 42:2, TNIV). 
The word, thwarted, defined as restrained or stopped, clarifies the purpose of God has been issued and that nothing will be able to restrain or stop its momentum.  The book of Job records Job's devastating circumstances leaving the reader with the big question, "Why God?" But.  When we read the end of the story,  we view it all from a different vantage point, and see there is more to reality than circumstances.  When Job's perspective shifts from his circumstances to a full view of God, the questions are left behind.  In the end, Job sees God's purpose will continue, regardless of the horrific circumstances.  The reader, along with Job, is left in wonder of the reality of not only the greatness but the goodness of God:
You asked, ‘Who is this that obscures my plans without knowledge?’ 
   Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, 
   things too wonderful for me to know (Job 42:3, TNIV).
There's nothing easy about a Job-like experience but when we see it from the vantage point of God's greatness and goodness, we are assured all is well, regardless of how life looks in the moment.
I'm not sure how many times I've had to re-learn to focus on God first, but I've had my share of moments.  When I focus on God's greatness as well as His goodness, looking beyond the stuff,  my perspective shifts from the circumstances to God and I am able to see there is always more to the story than what is initially seen.

Look at life from the vantage point of faith and see: God is great; God is good. No purpose of God can be thwarted . . .  restrained . . . or stopped.  God is at work doing things too wonderful for you to know.

Learning to Kickstart the day from the vantage point of faith,
Kerrie

(written by Kerrie Carlisle Palmer © 2011 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED)