Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Bold

There are things I know are mine to do; however, I spend time defending my reasons why I'm not to do something rather than taking the time to strategize and plan how to get it done.   The issue must be addressed.  There is a world around us that hears and sees our response, waiting and wanting a touch from God.  People never forget when we reach beyond our comfort.

Years ago, I was asked to voluntarily help out a friend who needed nurses to care for her at home so she could spend the last days of life with her husband and three boys.   I knew I needed to do it.  But. It seemed too much  She was my friend; I did not want to be her nurse.  And.  I was busy, too busy, with two baby girls, work, ministry, and general day-to-day stuff.

I finally said yes, not because I saw the light and surrendered everything, but because I knew it was a divine request from God. And, since I knew God is God, I said yes.  In the end, no matter how difficult or how much sacrifice something requires, when we say yes to God, we can be sure all of the details will work together.   God calls us to reach out regardless of our comfort level, many times to do something  beyond our comprehension and ability.  I will admit, after agreeing to help out, I still thought of reasons not to do it.  I felt relief when I imagined myself saying I could not do it.  There were two problems that stood between myself and God's request:

  1. I did not have enough space in my life to do the things that really mattered.  So.  I needed to let go of some things that were not mine to do. I've often thought our schedule should look more like crisis living, when we have no choice but to clear out the stuff that does not matter, doing only what is ours to do.  
  2. I saw myself on my own rather than in partnership with God.  I needed to trust the Spirit to be at work in and through me.   

And, finally, I'm just an idiot if I fail to miss out on living a Spirit-led life.  Consider the problems Christ followers had as they formed the Early Church.  I'm sure there would have been a sense of relief to step out of the battle so they could live a quiet and comfortable life.  But.  We are told in Acts 4 they were given boldness to go forward.
Consider:
After this prayer, the meeting place shook, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit. Then they preached the word of God with boldness (Acts 4:31, NLT).
What a difference it makes to pray so intently as the Christ followers did in Acts 4, waiting for the intense power of the Spirit. God gives us supernatural boldness, if, we are willing.

All the details worked out so I could go to my friends house; however, I still dreaded going.  Until. I touched the door.  It was amazing,  I would literally be given the strength and power to enter in and care for my friend.  The funniest moment occurred after she repeatedly asked me to sing.  I explained each time she asked me, "I don't sing."
 But.  She was dying.  So.  I timidly sang "Amazing Grace." After singing the chorus, she interrupted me and said, "You don't sing."
We laughed for a long time.  And, then she said to me, "Thank you for bringing life into our house."  I promptly told her it was not me, but Christ.  And.  She said.  "Yes, I know. We now have Christ in our home."
There's no doubt, I've missed several opportunities to experience the work of the Spirit of God because my personal comfort, schedule,  and limited abilities became self-imposed obstacles.  It's clear to me that we must build space in our schedule to be available for the supernatural work of the Spirit, to be willing to be bold despite our personal struggles, and to say yes, regardless of how difficult it all seems.  With God life is an adventure waiting to happen.
Be ready.
Be bold.
Learning to Kickstart the day boldly through the Spirit of God,
Kerrie
(written by Kerrie Carlisle Palmer © 2011 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED)