Friday, February 18, 2011

Through The Darkness Into The Light

A knock at the door.  It was early, too early for someone to be at the door. Worry began to move in before they answered the door.  It was the police.  In those early morning hours, their life completely changed.  At first it seemed their life had become a never-ending-nightmare when they learned what happened to their child. Overwhelmed. They wanted life to be different.  But things happened.  Things they could not control.

I sat with them in the following hours,  watching them enter into the most unimaginable dark valley of life.   Nothing has ever been the way it was before that morning.  People told them that they would get over it as time went by.  Which, by the way, does not comfort those who are in a dark valley of life.
In reality, they said, you learn to get through the dark valley, not over it, by trusting God to be present, step by step, believing He will help move you through the darkness into the light. They said they had no idea how to move through the darkness but God showed them.  And. They never thought they could get out of the darkness but God helped them move into the light of life.  
They lived out the words in Psalm 23.
Consider.
 The Lord is my shepherd;
      I have all that I need.
 He lets me rest in green meadows;
      he leads me beside peaceful streams.
    He renews my strength.
   He guides me along right paths,
      bringing honor to his name.
 Even when I walk
      through the darkest valley,
   I will not be afraid,
      for you are close beside me (Psalm 23: 1-4, NLT).
The words are powerful.  When we go through the darkest valley, we can be assured that God will be our shepherd.  We can't see through the darkness but God promises to  guide and stay close beside us.  The dark valleys are difficult, painful, and even chaotic.  But.
God will be present and will give rest, bring peace, and provide strength, especially when we can't fathom it is possible to get through the darkness.  
Look at the words again in Psalm 23, Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me.  The key words, through and beside, reminds us that we will get through the dark valleys without fear because God will be close beside us.  I have been in some dark valleys, myself and with others, so I can confirm that life never goes back to the way it was; however, if, we choose to go through the dark valley with God beside us, we will learn we do not need to be afraid because we can trust God is close and will move us through it.
The thing is . . . we choose how we will go through the darkest valleys . . . disregarding the presence of God . . . or leaning into Him, letting Him guide, and move us through the darkness into the light. 
Lean into God.  Remember God will move you through the darkness into the light, staying close beside you.

Learning to Kickstart the day trusting God to get me through the darkness into the light,
Kerrie

(written by Kerrie Carlisle Palmer © 2011 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED)