Tuesday, December 13, 2011

When Darkness Comes Into The Day

I listened to him and heard his pain.  He made a mistake and wanted to move on.  But.  It would never be that simple. It was the kind of mistake that some will never forget. It came with a cost, he lost the only life he had known, including the respect he had earned over the years. He described feeling separated from his co-workers and other leaders.  As he talked, I recognized the feelings that he could not seem to define: loneliness.  It’s a common feeling but rarely discussed, for some it’s fleeting, for others it lingers and even tortures with the sense of being abandoned and rejected.
The thing is . . . whether it’s recognized or not, loneliness . . . is a powerful component of depression leading to hopelessness. 
Consider the words of Jesus as he suffered death on the cross. Imagine the moment darkness came into the day, hearing the despair of Jesus when heaven and earth abandoned him as he bore the biggest mistake of all humanity:  separation from God.
From noon to three, the whole earth was dark. Around mid-afternoon Jesus groaned out of the depths, crying loudly, "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?" which means, "My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?" (Matthew 27: 45-46, The Message)

The moment of utter aloneness, changed the course of history for every human being.  It brings breath to the words we’re promised throughout God’s message, repeated in Hebrews 13:5-6:

   “I will never fail you.
      I will never abandon you.”
So we can say with confidence,
   “The Lord is my helper,
      so I will have no fear.
      What can mere people do to me?”
One thing I know to do when darkness comes into the day, when things seem too tough to handle, when there seems to be no one left standing with you, is to stop and turn from it all, allowing the words of Jesus to enter and take residence in your heart, “I will never fail or abandon you.”   You will receive supernatural confidence as the Light of truth pushes the darkness back, changing the way you see reality and face the day, giving you power to say, “The Lord is my helper, I will have no fear.”  
Learning to Kickstart the day even when darkness had come, trusting God not to fail or abandon me,
Kerrie

(written by Kerrie Carlisle Palmer © 2011 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED)