Friday, September 16, 2011

Friendship Never Dies

I'm missing my friend today.  She died a little over a decade ago.  I never thought it would be possible to live ten years without talking to her, listening to her southern accent, laughing or planning our days together.  But.
I've come to realize friendship, true friendship made in and through the heart of God, never dies.   
We had such a good friendship, a strong love for one another.  We often communicated without words; we only had to look at each other to know what the other was thinking.  We cared about what happened to one another on a daily basis, willing to risk our life for one another as well as to do over-the-top-crazy-fun things together.  The gift of our friendship has made me acutely aware of the power of a committed and strong relationship.

Consider the words of Jesus.
There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command.  I no longer call you slaves, because a master doesn’t confide in his slaves. Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me (John 9: 13-15, NLT).

Religion was turned upside down when Jesus said there was a way to be a friend of God. Until then, spirituality was measured and graded by keeping the rules.
There's nothing greater than to be friends with God, trusting and believing that no matter what happens God is for you and you're for God.  No one and nothing can take your divine friendship away, not even death.  
Friendship with God is a forever deal.

Regardless of the season of life we're in, having a friendship with God gives us the reason to love life, to see the gift of the day, and to know we're never alone.  As a friend of God we're enabled to face life courageously with faith rather than fear, believing all things are made new, nothing is impossible, and that all things will come together for good.

Enjoy your friendship with God.
Go to a deeper place of intimacy.
Celebrate your day with God.

 Learning to Kickstart the day as a friend of God,
Kerrie

(written by Kerrie Carlisle Palmer © 2011 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED)