Thursday, September 22, 2011

What Do You Fear?

Most people I talk with are afraid of what will happen to them if the United States' economic situation continues to spiral out of control.  Some are more afraid than others.  If, their fear is not focused on finances, then it's often centered on  their marriage not working out or a health problem.  Fear is a reality on earth.  None of us escape it. While fear takes on different forms in our life, it's present, it's rooted in anxiety, worry, stress, and even anger, it's what takes away our peace and ultimately our well-being.

So.  When a friend asked me what I fear, I knew it was a valid question.  He said he guessed I would say something about having a fear of death, given some of the things I've faced this last summer.  But.  I've learned something profound:  Wherever I'm at, on earth or in heaven, life is about being in the presence of God.  And, in the most intense times I've discovered there's no room for fear when I intentionally focus on God's powerful loving presence.
And, God has been faithful to remove the power of fear as I've surrendered it. 
Consider.
Even when I walk
      through the darkest valley,
   I will not be afraid,
      for you are close beside me (Psalm 23: 4 NLT).

The Psalmist discovered and declared it: "I will not be afraid for you are close beside me."  It really is the same response the Apostle Paul had when he wrote to the early church in Rome, "What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us" (Romans 8:31, NIV)?
When we face the reality of fear, we must look beyond the things we fear through eyes of faith to not only believe God is present but God is greater than whatever is causing us to fear. 
 I am the first to say, this is not easy when we face something that has the power to devastate and change the course of our life.
The thing is . . . I know from first hand experience . . . God works in all things for the good of those who love and live purposefully for Him.  The things we fear often provide the way to do the greatest things we could ever do for and with God. It requires us to turn from fear and to have faith God is present and at work.  It's amazing when the things which caused fear draws us closer to God and towards what we're created to do.  
Answer the question:  What do I fear? 
What produces anxiety, fear, stress, or anger?
Give whatever you fear to  God.  Be aware of how close God is to you, even in the darkest valley.
Trust God to purposefully work in all things for good in your life, using the things you fear in amazing ways.

Learning to Kickstart the day turning from fear to the presence and power of God,
Kerrie

(written by Kerrie Carlisle Palmer © 2011 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED)