Friday, September 23, 2011

Make It A Good Day

I volunteered with one of my young friends, a middle schooler, to help with thirty-one fourth graders.  We had fun with the students and one another. We plunged into the student's high energy, their readiness to experience something new, and their excitement of telling about it.  We joined their morning meeting, greeting one another, shaking hands, and telling the person on the left and the right, "Make it a good day."  A few of the students explained that by saying "make" it a good day, they've accepted the responsibility of whether or not their day is good.  Love it.  We live in an era that we would rather blame others and circumstances than to accept our own responsibility in the outcome of the day.  It was a good day.

The thing is . . . God has promised to do good for us . . . without ever stopping.  Consider: 
They will be my people, and I will be their God. And I will give them one heart and one purpose: to worship me forever, for their own good and for the good of all their descendants.  And I will make an everlasting covenant with them: I will never stop doing good for them. I will put a desire in their hearts to worship me, and they will never leave me. I will find joy doing good for them and will faithfully and wholeheartedly replant them in this land (Jeremiah 32: 38-41, NLT).
The "I will" of God is remarkable, a divine promise to be underlined in our mind and soul.  God promised to  always be doing good, to never stop doing good, and to do good with joy.  
There are times we may not see good at the forefront of our life; however, it's in these times we must choose to draw closer to God, to have faith God is present and faithful to do good in our life, which is key to living a good life.  It does require trusting God when we're in a season of difficulties, to see with eyes of faith that God will use all things  to purposefully do good in our life. God does not do good things some of the time.
God does good things all of the time. And, God doesn't just do the good thing because it's promised to us; God has joy in doing good in our life.  
It's what the Psalmist said:  Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life . . . (Psalm 23:6, NIV).  In other words, God goes after us, pursuing us with goodness each day.  This means we see the good in each day to be from God rather than from any other source. When we rely only on the goodness of God, we've learned how to make our day good, which changes everything . . . our thoughts, words, actions, decisions . . .  and the very atmosphere we live in.

Make it a good day.
Look for the good of the day from God.
Celebrate the goodness of God today.

Learning to Kickstart the day making it good,
Kerrie

(written by Kerrie Carlisle Palmer © 2011 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED)