Thursday, October 1, 2009

Life Is Not Always Fair


I wonder how many times my kids heard me say: “Life is not always fair.”  I do know that it was said enough that now as adults, my kids understand the concept that we do not measure life by fairness.  The thing is . . . we tend to think that bad things should only happen to bad people.  And . . . quite frankly . . . it is difficult to understand why bad things happen to good people. 
But what I do know is that whether we are facing fair or unfair circumstances . . . we can receive grace and peace to move through the circumstances.  The Apostle Paul said it often in his writings, Philippians is no exception:
Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. (Philippians 1:2)
Today we will look at the word, grace, and tomorrow we will focus on peace.
What is grace?
Essentially grace is undeserved and unmerited . . . a powerful gift . . . of provision and privilege from Christ.  I think that one of the most off-the-charts-miraculous statements we can read about grace is found in 2 Corinthians 12:9 in which Paul states:
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 

When this scripture is unpacked . . . the word “is” can be seen as the crucial point . . . in the New Testament Greek translation the one word allows us to see that the grace of God is present and ongoing.  Talk about rock-your-world kind of promise . . . regardless of what is happening in our life . . . the grace of God is sufficient.
What does the sufficiency of grace mean to daily living?
Life is often not fair.  It is just a fact of life.  We have a choice to make . . . will we focus on the unfairness of the issue or on the sufficiency of God?  The choice sets the course; however, we often believe it is our circumstances that direct the way we will go. 

Worship: Rush Of Fools "Escape"


Pray:  Spirit of God . . . fill me with Your sufficient grace . . . in all times.
Refocus.
Acknowledge the presence and power of God.
Set your mind on God.
Respond to the circumstance through the power of the grace of God.
Choose grace.
Learning with you to KICK START the day . . . in the ongoing sufficiency of the grace of God,

Pastor Kerrie

 For a deeper study go to: interAct: Bible Study


kpalmer@hillchurch.com ~Church on the Hill~700 N. Hill Rd.~McMinnville, OR 97128~503.472.8476 ~www.hillchurch.com~ InterAct: Bible Study~Kick Start Your Day