Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Prized Possession

It all began years ago, when my friend declared a monthly birthday celebration.  She thought it was ridiculous to wait once a year to celebrate our lives.  So.  We made the resolution to go out to dinner once a month and party . . . in honor . . . of one another.  We ordered what we wanted to eat, always including dessert; diets were banned for the birthday meal, nothing was out of bounds for our celebrations.

I miss the celebrations.  Let me clarify, I miss her.  A lot.  I looked forward to having time with her, celebrating in the midst of busyness and the stuff of life.  Since her death, I have learned there is a sacredness in celebrating one another.  And.  Grief has brought a clarity of gratefulness . . . for our friendship . . . and the time we had to celebrate.  It is one of those things in life, that was clearly a gift . . . a good gift . . . from God.  

Consider. 
Whatever is good and perfect comes down to us from God our Father, who created all the lights in the heavens. He never changes or casts a shifting shadow. He chose to give birth to us by giving us his true word. And we, out of all creation, became his prized possession (James 1: 17-18, NLT).
Let James 1:17-18 be pressed into your mind and heart.  It messes with me to think what it means to be and live as the prized possession of God.  The thing is . . ..  everything we are in Christ is a gift of grace . . . giving reason for daily celebration, living in a manner that leaves evidence of His grace wherever we are and in whatever we are doing, grateful to be so highly regarded and celebrated by God.

Stop.  Dive into the truth of James 1:17-18.
Ask, Do I celebrate myself and others as a prized possession of God? Do I live as a prized possession of God?  Do I leave evidence of the grace in me as a prized possession?
Step into the realm of grace today.
Accept the gift of being the prized possession of God.
Celebrate who you are and the life you have received in Christ . . . and . . . make it party!

Learning to Kickstart the day as God's prized possession,
Kerrie

(written by Kerrie Carlisle Palmer © 2011 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED)