Monday, March 21, 2011

Dive In

I have a few memories I will never be able to forget, which includes the first time I dove off the high dive. I climbed up the ladder and walked out on the board; however, I couldn't move.  My instructor said all sorts of things, attempting to make me dive.  My class ended, students left, except for a few lingering ones trying to convince me to make the dive. The next class came in, lined up against the wall, waiting for me to make a move.  But.  Fear engulfed me, I was stuck.

So.  My instructor climbed up, and began walking towards me on the board, telling me he would be right behind me.  When it came down to it, I trusted my teacher, I knew I would be okay, if, he was behind me.  I took a few steps and dove into the water. I still remember the exhilaration of going deep and then moving up and out.  You can imagine the instructor's celebration when I came up for air.  After that, you could not make me stop . . .  high diving . . .  into the deep water.

We miss out on living a full life when we are consumed with self.  When we stand on a precipice of life, we must decide if we will move, taking the steps to dive in, trusting God, believing He has the best plan,  developing a perspective through faith.  I have learned we need to take the plunge, risking what has been for what could be in the power of Christ. The thing is . . . we can be confident . . . God is with us when we dive in, giving the strength and ability to live beyond self.

Consider.
See, I set before you today life and prosperity, death and destruction. For I command you today to love the LORD your God, to walk in obedience to him, and to keep his commands, decrees and laws; then you will live and increase, and the LORD your God will bless you in the land you are entering to possess. (Deuteronomy 30: 15-16, NIV).
The book of Deuteronomy, Moses' account of how-to-live, delineates the way to choose life and prosperity or death and destruction.  So.  Living the best life comes down to giving our life to God rather  than going our own way,  making the choice  to dive into God's plan for life.  I can say from experience, making the dive into the life God has planned is overwhelming because of His love; it is exhilarating to love Him back, walking in obedience and keeping His commands,  experiencing life to the fullest.
Imagine the shift when you dive in, nothing will change until you do, certainly nothing big will change, until you become completely immersed in the presence and power of God, living the way He has planned.
I celebrate when I see someone dive in. It inspires me, keeping me aware of my need to continue to take specific steps to make the daily dive.
Dive in.  Love. Obey.  Keep His commands.  Live in faith.
Learning to Kickstart the day diving in,
Kerrie

(written by Kerrie Carlisle Palmer © 2011 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED)