Friday, March 4, 2011

Changed Response

People teach us many lessons.  One man, a negative and visibly unhappy man, who created chaos and conflict, taught me an unforgettable lesson.   No one wanted to work with him.  Not one person.  But.  The day came . . .  when I saw my name beside his name on the work assignment . . . for one week.  I dreaded working with him, begging God to get me out it.
I prayed in desperation.  I started by asking God, why me?  And, I begged, God please do something.  He did. The question became, Why not you
And. The week ended up to be a great experience.  He did not change, but I changed.  I responded to him as I did to positive and happy individuals, letting him know I was for him, not against him.  In other words, I responded in love. It is interesting how we often think someone and something needs to change, while God looks at our own need to change.

Consider.
"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind (Matthew 22:36-37, NASB).
Jesus  faced religious rule keepers who had delineated life with God down to a list of rules.  And.  Jesus
simplified all of the commandments to the great commandment with an attached commandment:
"The second is like it, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.'  On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets" (Matthew 22: 38-39, NASB).
The words of Jesus change the dynamics of life, when we follow Him, and align ourselves with what He says, there is change.  The thing is . . . when we attach ourselves fully and wholly to loving God . . . we are empowered to face whatever comes our way . . . changed when we rely on Him, rather than ourselves . . . enabled to love the most unloveable.

Pray.
Ask God to show you how to respond to people and situations.
Be ready to change your response.


Learning to Kickstart the day by changing my response,
Kerrie

(written by Kerrie Carlisle Palmer © 2011 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED)