Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Darkness

Plan on it.  Emergencies.  Crisis.  Problems.  Pressures. Dark times.  
I am often asked to walk alongside of people faced with the unexpected-overwhelming-hard stuff.  The crisis is something larger than what is understood at first, something which causes forever change, sneaking up on the unsuspecting individual, family, and friends.
The one thing I know is the Spirit of God is present in this world, bringing light, healing, and comfort in the darkness.  
Consider.
Excerpts from Psalm 27:
The LORD is my light and my salvation— 
   whom shall I fear? 
The LORD is the stronghold of my life— 
   of whom shall I be afraid? (vs. 1-2)
 . . . For in the day of trouble 
   he will keep me safe in his dwelling; 
he will hide me in the shelter of his sacred tent 
   and set me high upon a rock.
 closer to God, at least for awhile. (vs. 5)
. . .Teach me your way, LORD; 
   lead me in a straight path 
   because of my oppressors. (vs. 11)
 . . . I remain confident of this: 
   I will see the goodness of the LORD 
   in the land of the living. 
Wait for the LORD; 
   be strong and take heart 
   and wait for the LORD. (vs. 13-14)
The hard stuff of life strips us, creating a space that is raw, desperate, and painful.
But.
God is Light . . . freeing us from the power of the darkness . . .  providing shelter in His sacred tent, His presence . . .  setting us high on the rock, close to His heart . . . and as we stumble and try to find our way, calling out to Him to guide us back to a straight path . . . we can take heart . . . He is present.  
And.  It is in the darkness, we find a new courage, a new way to live, becoming stronger, more focused, and grateful, knowing we are never alone, not even for a moment when the darkness comes at us.

Be courageous today.  Whom shall you fear? God is your Light, more powerful than any darkness.

Learning to Kickstart the day in the presence of God,
Kerrie

(written by Kerrie Carlisle Palmer © 2011 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED)