Thursday, September 10, 2009

When Fear Comes . . .


Fear is a problem that can easily become attached to the way we think, speak, and feel. 
Psalm 27 is a passage that leads our response in circumstances away from fear towards faith. 

Speaking the word of God is a powerful component in the intentional choice to trust God.
1. Speak faith:
 (Of David. The LORD is my light and my salvation— whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life— of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1)
Seeing reality through faith brings the presence of Christ into our perspective.  No one and nothing can overcome the presence and power of God.   
2. Evaluate Reality:
 (When the wicked advance against me to devour me, it is my enemies and my foes who will stumble and fall. Psalm 27:2)
 In reality, though it may seem an army comes against us individually, we can be confident that God is present and at work.
3. Let go of Fear/ Be Confident:
 (Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear; though war break out against me, even then I will be confident. Psalm 27:3)
When we understand that being in the presence of God is the only thing that matters, we choose to draw closer to God. 
4.  Choose:
(One thing I ask from the LORD, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple. Psalm 27:4)
 When things get tough, we can be positioned in the dwelling, a shelter and safe place, of God.
5. Position:
 (For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock. Psalm 27:5)
 No matter how dark and difficult things seem, God will protect and provide in a way that produces a response of  joy within us.
6.  Respond:
 (Then my head will be exalted above the enemies who surround me; at his tabernacle I will sacrifice with shouts of joy; I will sing and make music to the LORD. Psalm 27:6)
 An individual can connect with the heart of God through prayer. It is an intentional choice.
7. Pray:
 (Hear my voice when I call, LORD; be merciful to me and answer me. Psalm 27:7)
The  personal action of seeking the face of God, allows us to draw closer to His heart . . . moving the focus away from self to God.
8.  Move:
(My heart says of you, "Seek his face!" Your face, LORD, I will seek. Psalm 27:8)
God provides a way, regardless of  the difficulty.
9. Pray:
 (Do not hide your face from me,
       do not turn your servant away in anger;
       you have been my helper.
       Do not reject me or forsake me,
       God my Savior.
    Though my father and mother forsake me,
       the LORD will receive me.
    Teach me your way, LORD;
       lead me in a straight path
       because of my oppressors.
    Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes,
       for false witnesses rise up against me,
       spouting malicious accusations. Psalm 27:9-12)
Using the words, “I will,” is a vital component of aligning our life with the will of God . . . a statement of faith.
10.  Make a statement of faith:
 (I remain confident of this:
       I will see the goodness of the LORD
       in the land of the living. Psalm 27:13)
 Waiting is trusting God.  Fear dissipates when trust is put into action—1. Be strong.   2.   Take heart.   3.  Wait for the Lord.
11. Principle of trust:
 (Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.Psalm 27:14)


PrayLet me live without fear . . . in faith.

Learning with you to KICK START the day
 . . . intentionally living in faith rather than fear,  
Pastor Kerrie
(written by Kerrie Palmer © 2009 All Rights Reserved)
kpalmer@hillchurch.com ~Church on the Hill~700 N. Hill Rd.~McMinnville, OR 97128~503.472.8476 ~www.hillchurch.com